Re: on independence of elements, relating versions [XMLVersioning-41]

Dan Connolly writes:

> It occurred to me that in a way, RDF/XML syntax takes
> the principle of independence of elements to an
> extreme.

Indeed, but I think it's important to realize that this approach is just
what you say: an XML syntax for another (I.e. RDF)  model.  I agree that
the RDF model has many desirable characteristics, including at least
several that make it an interesting basis for negotiating interoperation
between software written at different times and to different assumptions
(I.e. for tackling the versioning problem.)  I would agree that it
potentially is a richer and more promising starting point than XML trees
and XML schema.

On the other hand, I remain unconvinced that XML tools are usually the
right prism through which to view such a serialized RDF document. Consider
a document containing the serialization of an RDF triple that expresses
[Noah(known by his URI), isAuthorOf, Document(known by its URI)].  While
you can use XPath,  XSL and or XQuery on the XML serialization, it's not
clear to me that this is the architecturally robust way to extract the
author for the document.  It seems that if the data is fundamentally RDF,
you usually want a query mechanism that's aware of RDF and triples.
Similarly, I don't think that XML schema (or WSDL) would be a first class
way of enforcing the rule that every such document must have a statement
of authorship.  It seems to me that using XML tools on such RDF
serializations is about like using Grep on XML documents;  both are useful
tricks at times, but Grep is not usually the right way to extract
information from an XML document and XML tools are not RDF tools.

As some of you have probably heard me state too often:  it's exactly this
tension between two interesting architectures, both of which we are
promoting to our users at about the same time, that most concerns me about
the coexistence between XML and RDF.  Still, I agree that it's interesting
to look at RDF in our discussions of XML versioning.  Maybe there's
something we can indeed apply.

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street