Re: Use of TLDs as content filtering mechanisms (.xxx or .sex)

Daniel,

I find myself wondering if this question is mis-directed:  what you raise
is, I think, a social issue (with maybe a few technical ramifications).  As
such, is the W3C *Technical* Architecture Group best-placed to consider it?

(In part, I raise this because it seems to me that your own background
would make you at least as qualified in this area as the current TAG
membership...)

#g
--

[[
Technical Architecture Group (TAG)

W3C has created the TAG to document and build consensus around principles
of Web architecture and to interpret and clarify these principles when
necessary, to resolve issues involving general Web architecture brought to
the TAG, and to help coordinate cross-technology architecture developments
inside and outside W3C. -- TAG charter
]]
-- http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/

At 11:37 10/03/04 -0500, Daniel Weitzner wrote:

>Indications are that ICANN may consider creation of a new sTLD
>(sponsored Top Level Domain[1]) for the purpose of identifying and
>filtering of content considered harmful or objectionable. This issue
>has been discussed in the past under the rubric of .xxx or .sex.
>
>I believe that ICANN could benefit from the TAG's view of the following
>questions:
>
>1. How would such a proposal effect the operation of URIs and other
>aspects of the Web?
>
>2. Does the TAG believe that such a sTLD would be effective in limiting
>access to inappropriate material, whether for children, adults or
>others prohibited by law from accessing certain material?
>
>3. Are there existing solutions to the problem of controlling access to
>harmful content or are there other approaches that would be effective?
>
>4. Don Eastlake has written about this question. Does the TAG agree
>with RFC 3675 (Eastlake)?[1]
>
>Thanks,
>
>Daniel Weitzner
>W3C Technology & Society Domain Lead