Re: Reviewed charmod fundamentals

Quoting Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>:

> At 3:08 PM -0800 3/5/04, Tim Bray wrote:
>

> >This is controversial.  I think in general this is reasonable, with
> >the single exception of doing what XML did and blessing both UTF-8
> >and UTF-16.  The problem with a single encoding is that it forces
> >people to choose between being Java/C# friendly (UTF-16) and C/C++
> >friendly (UTF-8).  Later on, you in fact seem to agree with this
> >point.  Furthermore it's trivially easy to distinguish between UTF-8
> >and UTF-16 if you specify a BOM.  But I think that if I were
> >defining the next CSS or equivalent I'd like to be able to say
> >"UTF-8 or UTF-16" without feeling guilty.
>
> Speaking as a Java programmer, I do not find UTF-8 to be less Java
> friendly than UTF-16. Both UTF-8 and UTF-16 need to be passed through
> a Reader on input and a Writer on output for any sort of robustness
> to apply.  Which one I choose to use is almost never based on Java's
> internal storage format for Strings.

Similarly, speaking as a C++ programmer, I do not find UTF-16 to be less C++
friendly than UTF-8.

However I agree with Tim's argument that allowing a choice of UTF-8 or UTF-16 to
be made by an author or producing application (and hence mandating that the two
be differentiated and handled by the consuming application) is a good practice
and should be allowed by the charmod rules.

--
Jon Hanna
<http://www.hackcraft.net/>