RE: xml11Names-46

Hello all,

first of all, because the problems of moving from XML 1.0 to XML 1.1 are
technical and the decision to issue erratas or to create new versions of
the specs spans the W3C and again, is technical, not a question of
process, I do believe the TAG has a say here.

history:

I acknowledge there are incompatibilities between XML 1.0 and 1.1,
that's why the version number has changed. I believe we should plan for
the long term here, though:

In the future, I expect only one of the two version (unless a next
version comes out) to be widespread, optimally that should be XML 1.1,
but it can well be that (almost) nobody actually goes and uses XML 1.1
so it would stay to be XML 1.0.

In the future, I expect most parsers to be able to handle both versions
of XML, with no substantial changes to the APIs. For example DOM in Java
will not change, will it? Will DOM or SAX change in any language,
actually? Will the Perl API change? These expectations I make based on
my optimistic view of the affairs.

Some applications may require XML 1.1. Why should any application
require XML 1.0 and *forbid* XML 1.1, though?

In the long term, I believe that an errata to a spec (say XML Schema
1.0) is better than having two XML Schema specs. There will be a log of
changes, I don't suggest we rewrite the Rec, I suggest we issue a proper
second edition. Is that a re-write of the history? I don't think so.

I just think the benefits outweigh the problems by a huge lot. My
opinion, mind you. 8-)

                   Jacek Kopecky

                   Digital Enterprise Research Institute
                   http://www.deri.at/