Re: xml11Names-46

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 09:40:34 -0400
To: Jacek Kopecky <jacek.kopecky@deri.at>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

At 2:24 PM +0200 6/12/04, Jacek Kopecky wrote:

>1) specifications that build on XML should tie themselves to XML 1 or
>just XML, and already existing Recommendations should issues erratas to
>that effect;
>2) it must be clarified in the Infoset specification that it isn't tied
>to any particular XML version (or XML 1 sub-version);

In other words, you want to rewrite history. No, this simply will not
work. When this has been done (notably with the namespaces in XML
erratum retroactively claiming xmlns:prefix attributes are in a
namespace) it's been a major hassle, and a source of interoperability
issues between different specifications.

What you suggest might have been a good idea at one point, and if we
could go back in time and change the specs before they were released,
maybe this would make sense. But obviously we can't do that. Let's
not pretend the specs says something other than what they do say. If
these specs are incompatible with XML 1.1, then they need to be
revised: Infoset 1.1, Schemas 1.1, XPath 1.1, etc. Some of these are
already in development.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu