RE: What does http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP identify?

Dare Obasanjo writes:

>> I find it quite irritating that the
>> SOAP working group did not follow
>> the practices of other working
>> groups such as XML Query working group
>> and choose a new URI for the subsequent version.

I'm curious, when and if XML 1.1 goes to recommendation status, do we
expect that http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml will be redirected to point to
1.1?  I would have thought so.

The SOAP situation seems quite parallel.  It would have been possible for
someone 3 years go to have made the statement that
"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml does not consider Unicode NEL (#x85) as a new line character".  That statement would in retrospect have been
true for some time, but would become wrong at the time the URI was
redirected to XML 1.1.  No doubt the changes from SOAP 1.1 to SOAP 1.2 are
somewhat more extensive, notably the change of namespace, but SOAP 1.2 is
very much a successor to SOAP 1.1, with almost identical overall features
and use cases.

There is indeed a serious practical issue in this particular case having
to do with the large number of existing publications that have used
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml to refer specifically to SOAP 1.1.  In
retrospect, I believe that we dug a hole 3 years ago, at which time we
should have assigned:

http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP -> Latest version of SOAP, moves from SOAP 1.1
to SOAP 1.2 as recommendations are published
http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP1.1 -> Changes only for bug fixes and errata to
1.1

or some such.

We didn't do that, so now there's a problem.

It may be that keeping TR/SOAP for SOAP 1.1 is the least of the evils in
practice at this point, but I don't think it's much of a precedent for how
to do things right.  I think that in principle there's nothing wrong with
the redirection that XMLP has proposed to do.  In future, I think the
guidance should be:  "when first publishing a spec that's likely to have a
future, create and document URIs that will usefully distinguish the latest
versions of all forms that are likely to be of interest moving forward, as
well as URIs in date space that uniquely identify each version as
published."

By the way, I've also seen a proposal from Chris Ferris to have
http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP take you to a page that gives you a choice of
specs.  Not ideal, but certainly another option.  As I say, we blew it
when SOAP first came out, so now all the choices are compromises.

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142