RE: What does http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP identify?

Hi Mark,

FWIW I'll offer my personal perspective.

In order to answer your question you have to accept the premise that the
XMLP-WG has changed which resource is referenced by the URI. That may be
open to question, but I don't think you can take it as a given - an
personally I don't see that they have.

IMO, the clarification from the XMLP-WG is entirely consistent with URI
policy for TR page URIs as articulated in section 1 of the W3C pubrules [1]
(I encountered these working on the metaDataInUri-31 draft finding - looking
for an example of an articulation of URI assignment policy).

<quote>
For Recommendation track documents, the shortname determines the identifier
of the latest version in a series of documents as
http://www.w3.org/TR/shortname. The identifier of the particular publication
is determined by the shortname, the status, and the date:
http://www.w3.org/TR/YYYY/status-shortname-YYYYMMDD.

Member and Team Submission URIs are constructed similarly, but those
documents are not published under http://www.w3.org/TR/.
</quote>

I'd be a little troubled by specifications making latest version references
rather than specific version references (I don't know whether the former is
a widespread practice), just as I'd be a little wary of writing a blank
cheque - or writing a cheque in pencil.

Best regards

Stuart
[1] http://www.w3.org/2003/05/27-pubrules.html