From: www-tag-request@w3.org on behalf of rjelliffe@allette.com.au
Sent: Mon 8/23/2004 12:20 AM
To: www-tag@w3.org
Subject: XML and Versioning

I wonder if there is a enhancement to Namespaces that could
substantially make it easier to come to grips with versioning.
This is an architectural issue, therefore suited for TAG.

I wonder if it should be possible (for schema processors & people)
to imply base/derived relationships for the basic semantics
of elements and attributes and documents based on the namespace
URLS.

So that
   http://www.eg.com/ns/html/html4
is consonant with
   http://www.eg.com/ns/html/
as is
   http://www.eg.com/ns/html/html3
but not
   http://www.eg.com/ns/svg

(Whether this is done using / or using # or some other delimiter
is up to the URL police. Ditto for how it relates to URIs.)

At the moment, URLs are hierarchical in construction but not in
function. We have expressive names, but we are cannot take advantage
of them.

By indicating the semantic hierarchy between namespaces, it
can allow better fallbacks and default processing, thus (when supported
by W3C specs and implementation) allowing people to adopt different
namespaces for derived languages, rather than just the
broad semantics (which is all that is prudent now).

For example, you don't have a stylesheet or schema for
   http://www.eg.com/ns/html/html4
but you do have one for
   http://www.eg.com/ns/html/
? Fall back to the second, user agent permitting.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe