Re: Arch Doc: 26 September 2003 Editor's Draft

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@apache.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:11:06 -0700
Cc: "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org
To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>

Oh, I see what you are getting at, though now we are also facing
confusion over "networked" (meaning connected like a graph) versus
spanning the Internet network.  Let's go back to the base concepts:

    The World Wide Web is an information space consisting of resources
    that are interconnected by links defined within that space.

Maybe that is sufficient to describe the scope of the Web?  We can
then describe the different types of links when we describe the
different information systems later in the document (not abstract),
e.g.,

    A link defines a relationship that can be considered active or
    passive, depending upon the type of information system in use.
    For example, hypertext browsers consider anchors and in-line image
    references to be active links (hyperlinks), whereas a reasoning
    system might focus activity on namespace references, a
    messaging agent might traverse service descriptions, or a
    subscriber might describe "callback" control-points.

Would that help?

....Roy