Arch Doc: 26 September 2003 Editor's Draft (review of some terms)

From: Olivier Fehr <Olivier.Fehr@ofehr.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:02:22 +0200
To: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: <www-tag@w3.org>

...of Web resources that are interconnected via URIs..
->probably better to say 'can be interconnected', as they may exist in
the same information space without any relation to each other.

2.1 Comparing Identifiers
..,it is generally not possible to be sure that two URIs that are not
equivalent identify different resources.
This follows from 'Web architecture does not constrain resources...' in

Agents should not assume...
/Oaxaca and
/Oaxaca identify the same resource,...
Thus, the parties responsible for weather.example.com should not use...
I don't think the 'thus' is necessarily correct, as the responsible for
weather.example.com can simple determine, i.e. stipulate that both
reference the same, whereas a agent is not free to assume that
equivalence lacking a clear statement of equivalence from the
responsible authority.

2.2 URI Opacity
'Good practice'
Somehow confirms my believe above
The example URI used in ... suggests...
On the other hand, the "mailto"...
As you say, the normative specification makes the difference. By
assuming that a certain type of resource can be constructed by guessing
the parts of an URI, an agent might well end up with something
completely irrelevant to her/him/it.

Editor's note...metadataInURI-31...
For web services there is a WSD(L), for other content there is no such
thing as a WCD (Web Content Description), so usually there is now way of
knowing what is behind the starting URI, e.g. http://www.w3.org.

2.3. URI Schemes
If the motivation behind registering a new scheme is to allow an agent
to launch...such dispatching can be achieved by registering...
While I agree, I would also add this might be an alternative if some
patent holders have their way...

The user of unregistered URI schemes is discouraged...
Yes. After all an agent would have to support this scheme, thus making
that approach unsuitable for broad Internet use. While I could do
something like this internally, I would be building something
proprietary which shouldn't be done except for very valid business
reasons, but then I can register it...

2.5.2. Safe Interaction
This seems to be a very limited definition of 'safe' from the agent's
point of view. Seems more like a concept of liability or obligation...

I think I stop here. It's getting rather long (and late)