Re: Arch Doc: 18 Sep: abstract

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:41:18 -0400
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@apache.org>
Cc: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>, "'Tim Berners-Lee'" <timbl@w3.org>, "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org

> > I don't know what Dr. Shirky thinks "information space" is, but the
> > fact that he puts scare quotes around it, and covers it under
> > visualization, suggests he's using it differently from the TAG.
>
> No.  The notion of an information space and how to visualize such
> a space are two related topics.  Here is a cool example
>
>     http://www.cybergeography.org/atlas/info_maps.html
>
> where they show maps (visualizations) of different information spaces.

Wow, some very nice pictures.  I'd seen a few of them before.  I don't
see that page's usage supporting the TAG's usage, where information
spaces are *not* necessarily related to visualization.  It seems to me
your usage of "information space" is just "collection of information
where sub-collections are individually named", which is fine, but is
fairly far from evoking these images.  Maybe you also include the
requirement that sub-collections necessarily use the names of other
sub-collections, so there are links, which is a little closer to
evoking the pictures, but...  My point is just that the term
"Information Space" does not seem to me to be well defined enough
among the TAG's readership to use in the abstract or introduction.

    -- sandro