Re: Arch Doc: 18 September 2003 Editor's Draft

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 14:19, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The 18 September 2003 Editor's Draft of "Architecture of
> the World Wide Web" is now available at:
>
>    http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2003/webarch-20030918/

I recall from the Vancouver meeting...

"Ian: yes, I intend to make "on the web" a term" --
http://www.w3.org/2003/07/21-tag-summary.html

but I don't see it in
  http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2003/webarch-20030918/#index

Also, this seems like a category error:

"...leading to design choices that constrain the behavior of the Web in
order for the system to achieve desired properties: to be an efficient,
scalable, shared information space..."

It's either a system or a space, not both, right? That's
the impression I got from Roy's msg of Aug 08 2003
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Aug/0044.html

I got the impression that Roy was arguing to define
the Web as a space, *not* a system:

| The problem with defining the Web as an information
| system rather than an information space is that people start
| making global assumptions about traits that are only applicable
| to one system that uses the Web of resources.

[...]
> If there are no strong objections from the TAG,

I dunno if this is a "stop ship" objection or not...
I can live without making "Web" and "on the Web" into
first-class terms, myself, and I haven't read the
whole thing yet.

But from the perspective of checking that this
draft is consistent with the proceedings of the
group, this looks like a problem.