Re: Requesting a revision of RFC3023

From: MURATA Makoto <murata@hokkaido.email.ne.jp>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:56:02 +0900
To: "Aaron Swartz" <me@aaronsw.com>
Cc: "WWW-Tag" <www-tag@w3.org>, ietf-xml-mime@imc.org

On 21 Sep 2003 22:06:30 -0500
"Aaron Swartz" <me@aaronsw.com> wrote:

> > I think that persuading users is more difficult than
> > persuading programmers.  I have encouraged use of Unicode
> > for XML in Japan, but nothing has happened.
>
> The users shouldn't have to know what a character encoding is! Their
> software should just use UTF-8 automatically.

Will users discard existing software, which supports legacy encogins, and
existing data, which are in legacy encodings?  I am not saying Unicode
everywhere is bad.  To the contrary, I think Unicode everywhere is better.
But it is extremely unlikely.

Cheers,

--
MURATA Makoto <murata@hokkaido.email.ne.jp>