Re: Requesting a revision of RFC3023

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:04:36 -0400
To: MURATA Makoto <murata@hokkaido.email.ne.jp>, ietf-xml-mime@imc.org
Cc: WWW-Tag <www-tag@w3.org>

At 9:08 PM +0900 9/21/03, MURATA Makoto wrote:

>UTF-8 has its own technical problems (the Unicode signature, representation
>of non-BMP characters, etc.).

By Unicode signature, I'm guessing you mean the BOM? That problem
seems to have been easily dealt with by simply deciding to allow it
in UTF-8. It doesn't appear to have caused any problems in practice
today.

I don't know what you problems you refer to with "representation of
non-BMP characters". UTF-8 precisely specifies how these characters
are represented. There's no issue here. Did you mean something else?

--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu