Re: Requesting a revision of RFC3023

At 11:21 03/09/19 -0700, Tim Bray wrote:

>Martin Duerst wrote:
>
>>This will of course take some time. As one example, N3 just says
>>that it's in UTF-8. For other new formats, that may make sense,
>>too.
>
>In principle, I agree.  In practice, there's a problem, for example I
>actually don't know how, in my favorite editor on Mac OS X,

What editor is that?

>to type in the u-umlaut in Martin's last name,

How to type it shouldn't depend on the editor, but should be
something the OS deals with. And for an average Mac application,
it actually does.

On the Mac, go to Control Pannel -> International -> Input Menu.
You then get a list of keyboards and other input methods.
One that is particularly useful for occasional input of characters
is the Character palette. As soon as you have selected more than
one keyboard/..., you get an additional menu item where you can
switch these.

The old resedit also had a way to inspect and change your keyboard
configurations, but I'm not sure this is still available.

Regards,    Martin.