Re: Requesting a revision of RFC3023

Martin Duerst wrote:

> This will of course take some time. As one example, N3 just says
> that it's in UTF-8. For other new formats, that may make sense,
> too.

In principle, I agree.  In practice, there's a problem, for example I
actually don't know how, in my favorite editor on Mac OS X, to type in
the u-umlaut in Martin's last name, and how to force saving a file in
UTF-8.  This isn't a problem for me because I'm usually writing XML and
so I just write Dürst.  So I actually have trouble making N3
assertions about Martin.

If we could make the whole world always use UTF-8 for everything life
would be so much simpler :)
--
Cheers, Tim Bray
         (ongoing fragmented essay: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/)