Re: Requesting a revision of RFC3023

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:55:41 -0400
To: MURATA Makoto <murata@hokkaido.email.ne.jp>
Cc: ietf-xml-mime@imc.org, www-tag@w3.org

MURATA Makoto scripsit:

> This implies that XQuery should introduce its own mechanism (see [4])
> and that the compact syntax of RELAX NG should introduce another.

I don't see that either of these are self-describing in the relevant sense,
any more than a C program is.

> As far as I know, the charset parameter is the only generic mechanism.  I
> know the charset parameter is not working well, but I do not see any other
> generic mechanisms.

It's an acceptable mechanism when there is no internal declaration present.
It causes problems when internal declarations are or may be present.

--
John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
"In computer science, we stand on each other's feet."