RE: WhenToUseGet-7 comments

From: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:22:56 -0700
To: "'Dan Connolly'" <connolly@w3.org>, "'Ian B. Jacobs'" <ij@w3.org>
Cc: <www-tag@w3.org>

> > I am trying to understand what it means to make a POST
> > operation safe.
>
> *mark*, not *make*. i.e. a POST operation might _be_
> safe (e.g. markup validator with file upload), but in the current
> HTTP protocol, the client has no way to know that it's
> safe. It has to assume that POST operations are unsafe.

Yup.  Unless there's a marker of some kind.

> >  Does this mean designing a new method that
> > carries a message body but is identified as a safe method
> > (QUERY?)
>
> A new QUERY method is analagous to having some way
> for the server to tell the client that certain POST
> operations are safe.

And we had talked about this.  The long ago original draft finding suggested
a new QUERY method.  We decided not to propose that as part of this finding.
My recollection of the reason was that introducing a new method probably
simply wasn't going to be deployed irl.

Cheers,
dave