Re: Rough sketch for an I-D (a successor of RFC 3023)

From: François Yergeau <francois@yergeau.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 14:32:26 -0500
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: MURATA Makoto <murata@hokkaido.email.ne.jp>, www-tag@w3.org

Chris Lilley a écrit  :
> FY> Clients should be explicitly encouraged to fix the encoding declaration
> FY> when saving locally.
>
> Clients should never be served nonwell-formed documents that they need
> to 'fix up'.

According to the XML spec, a doc with a wrong encoding declaration, but
accompanied by a correct charset from a higher-level protocol, is
well-formed.  It needs to be fixed up if saved locally.  IMHO clients
SHOULD fix it and 3023bis should say so.

There are legitimate use cases for this.  I don't think a nonwell-formed
document sitting on a server is, but a doc transcoded on the fly is one.

--
François