RE: [Minutes] 27 Oct 2003 TAG teleconf (AC mtg, Versioning)

> TBL: with knowledge/consent?

The minutes are missing my/Norm's answer to this question:

PC and Norm: Yes, we discussed with the XML Schema WG and ensured they
were okay with this addition to their namespace.

/paulc

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
Tel: (613) 225-5445 Fax: (425) 936-7329
mailto:pcotton@microsoft.com

PC,
>         NW, TBL.
> Upcoming meeting topics:
>
>       * 3 Nov: Review comments on 27 Oct Editor's Draft of Arch Doc
>
> 1.1 TAG update at Nov 2003 AC meeting.
>      1. Completd action DO, CL 2003/10/20: Produce draft slides for AC
>         presentation; for discussion at 27 Oct teleconference. (done)
> [DanCon]
>

>         DO reviews AC slide proposal
>         DO: it was very rewarding comparing the current webarch doc to
>         the one 6 months ago; much more fleshed out.
>         PC: presentation duration? main message?
>         DO: I gather our slot is 60min; present for 40 to 55, allow 5
>         20min QA?
>         PC: I don't see much about [... trouble capturing it...]
> [Zakim]
>         DanCon, you wanted to ask why so much time on
readily-available
>         factual material
> [DanCon]
>         PC: perhaps figure out some questions and work backward?
>         DanC: a big question is: the TAG costs a lot; do you want to
>         keep spending the resource that way?
>         TimBL: what would you say to somebody in the corridoor?
>         DanC: I found writing up the interaction with the Voice WG
>         rewarding...
>         DO: I hearw3452W5r'
>         [scribe needs help or something]
>         DanC: I don't see any need to tell the AC what's in the
>         document, I guess.
>         SW: what's the coolest thing? I liked the interaction with
>         voice... hmm...
>         PC: we've delegated a bunch.
>         ... binary XML Workshop.
> [timbl]
>         No affect on i18n
> [DanCon]
>         ... bumping into I18N...
> [timbl]
>         ... 18n WG wouldn't take any notice
> [DanCon]
>         ... XML Core ID stuff.
>         ... plus VoiceXML
>         TimBL: we stirred up RFC3023...
>         Chris: IANA... media type...
>         [several]: ... IETF in general
>         DO: I think it's important to talk about the new text...
>         ... about how we've decided to get to Last Call ASAP, and what
>         we've done about it
>         DanC: hmm... the bulk of new text suggests to me that we're
not
>         headed for Last Call right away
>         ACTION ChrisL: incorporate input on AC slides and produce
>         another draft. ETA: Weds
>
> 1.2 TAG Nov face-to-face meeting agenda
>       * Expect to attend: SW, PC, NW, DC, CL, TBL, IJ
>       * Do not expect to attend: RF
>       * Don't know: TB
>
> 1.3 New issues list deployed
> Completed action IJ 2003/02/06: Modify issues list to show that
> actions/pending are orthogonal to decisions. (done)
>

> 2. Technical (75min)
>      1. Review of 3023-related actions
>      2. Review of Architecture Document writing assignments
>      3. XML Versioning
>
> 2.1 Review of 3023-related actions
>
>         Actions 2003/10/08:
>         - NW to liaise with Paul Grosso and the XML Core WG
>         - TBL and DC to liaise with the IETF regarding obsoleting RFC
>         3023.
>         - TB to talk to authors of 3023 about inclusion as appendix in
>         xml 1.1.
>         - TBL and DC will talk to the Architecture Domain Lead.
>         Action CL 2003/10/20: Draft update to 3023 for review by the
TAG
>         (on www-tag).
>

> [DanCon]
>

>         CL: I took the ball on a new draft, which prompted new input
>         from Murata-san
>         PC: summary?
>         CL: deprecate text/xml due to charset foo; revises advice on
>         when to use charset; ...
>         http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html#RFC3023Charset-21
> [ChrisL]
>         RFC3023Charset-21: Do all "shoulds" of RFC 3023 section 7.1
>         apply?
> [DanCon]
>

> ACTION CL: draft XML mime type thingy with Murata-san. [Previous
action
> thus subsumed.]
>

> 2.2 Review of Architecture Document writing assignments
> Latest draft is the 1 Oct 2003 WD of the Arch Doc.
>

> TimBray
>              1. Completed action TB 2003/10/08: Write up a paragraph
for
>                 section 3 on syntax-based interoperability. (done).
See
>                 also comments from Mike Champion
>              2. Completed action TB 2003/10/08: Write a paragraph of
>                 rationale for why error handling good in the context
of
>                 the Web. (done)
>              3. Completed action TB 2003/10/08: Propose a revised
>                 paragraph to replace the "Furthermore" sentence in
>                 section 2.3 (done)
>
> Ian
>              1. Completed action IJ 2003/10/08: Add ed note to
abstract
>                 that the abstract will be rewritten.
>              2. Action IJ 2003/10/08: Starting from DO's diagram,
create
>                 a diagram where the relationships and terms are linked
>                 back to the context where defined. Ensure that the
>                 relationships are in fact used in the narrative; any
>                 gaps identified? With DO, work on term relationship
>                 diagram.
>              3. Completed action IJ 2003/10/08: Draft good practice
note
>                 for 4.4.
>              4. Completed action IJ 2003/10/08: In 2.4, add story that
>                 shows how two classes of error can arise
(inconsistency
>                 v. no frag id semantics defined). Frame story in terms
>                 of secondary resources.
>              5. Completed action IJ 2003/10/08: Split persistency
>                 section into two and move http redirection para there,
>                 with appropriate rewrites.
>              6. Completed action IJ 2003/10/08: Update OWL ref since
in
>                 CR
>              7. Completed action IJ 2003/10/08: Add a future work
>                 section for identifiers that the TAG expects to
>                 summarize various URI schemes and what agents can
infer
>                 from the scheme.
>
> David
>              1. Completed action DO,NW 2003/10/08: Make the summary to
>                 replace 4.5 Extensibility and Versioning in the arch
doc
>                 (done)
>
> Chris
>              1. Action CL 2003/07/21: Discuss and propose improved
>                 wording of language regarding SVG spec in bulleted
list
>                 in 2.5.1.
>
> Norm
>              1. Completed action NW 2003/10/08: Write up text on
>                 information hiding/abstraction respect for before
2/3/4.
>                 (done)
>              2. Action NW 2003/10/08: Revise QName finding. We will
also
>                 add those two good practice notes to section 2:
>                      1. If you use Qnames, provide a mapping to URIs.
>                      2. Don't define an attribute that can take either
>                         URI or a Qname since they are not
syntactically
>                         distinguishable."
>              3. Completed action NW 2003/10/08: Rewrite the last
>                 paragraph of 4.9.2 to be less inflammatory about DTDs
>                 (done)
>              4. Completed action NW 2003/10/08: Massage three
paragraphs
>                 following good practice note about persistency at
>                 beginning of 2.6. (done)
>
> Roy
>              1. Action RF 2003/10/08: Explain "identifies" in RFC
2396.

> TBL
>              1. Action TBL 2003/07/14: Suggest changes to section
about
>                 extensibility related to "when to tunnel".
>
> DC
>              1. Action DC 2003/07/21: Propose language for section
2.8.5
>                 showing examples of freenet and other systems.
Progress;
>                 see URISchemes/freenet
>

> 2.3 XML Versioning
> Current draft is 3 Oct 2003 finding
>
> [DanCon]
>

>         DO: Norm and I did some work on this last week and this; I
sent
>         a new draft just now...
>         scribes thinks the relevant msg is "Proposed text for web arch
>         section 4.5, extensibility and versioning"
>         http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Oct/0137.html
>         DO: intro/motivation text is new...
>         ... diagram updated...
>         DO: I note the discussion of how to handle terminology
sections;
>         leaving that aside for a bit...
>         [I'm confused; I see "1.x" but DO is saying "4.x"]
> [timbl]
>         This note is proposed to be inserted in the arch doc? (TBL
>         confirms by reading from abstract)
> [Stuart]
>         s/x.y/4.x+5.y (ish)
> [DanCon]
>         DO: this text is shorter than the finding; xml-schema-specific
>         stuff is left out
>         CL: what to do with the schema-specific stuff?
>         NW: it's still in the finding, which we haven't updated...
>         DanC: I'd like to discuss the thesis; is this it? "The primary
>         motivation to allow instances of a language to be extended is
>         decentralize the task of designing, maintaining, and
>         implementing extensions."
>         NW: that, plus you can't add extensibility later. gotta do it
up
>         front
>         [scribe was discussing, missed a whole pile]
>         SW: I see lots of good practice boxes; did you try to minimize
>         those?
>         NW: no; I promoted all the boxes from the finding; perhaps
we'll
>         lose a few
>         PC: this "nobody but the owner can change a namespace"...
hm...