RE: Proposed restatement of syntax-based interoperability princip le ( was RE: Action item on syntax-based interoperability)

From: Bullard, Claude L (Len) <clbullar@ingr.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 11:41:54 -0500
To: 'Tim Bray' <tbray@textuality.com>, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
Cc: "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>, www-tag@w3.org

No, you stacked the definition.  No smart engineer builds networked
database systems without some idea of the data types.  You redefined
portable data to mean interoperable system and that is simply
a way to say two systems that understand each other reasonably
well can rely on email to work together.  That's all.

Portable data.  Inteoperable systems.  A priori agreements
about types even if informal.  HTML works because it is
bloody obvious even to a script kiddie what a <p> is but
someone has to tell you what <eventID>0100</eventID> is.

len

From: Tim Bray [mailto:tbray@textuality.com]

I'm certainly not arguing that APIs and data models aren't useful and
necessary citizens of the software universe.  I'm just saying that they
do not provide a basis for interoperability in networked information
systems.  And the evidence is on my side. -Tim