Re: Action item on syntax-based interoperability

From: Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@datadirect.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 06:57:47 -0400
To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, Michael Champion <mc@xegesis.org>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

At 07:25 PM 10/24/2003, Tim Bray wrote:

>I agree with everything you say about XQuery, but I think that XQuery
>would be tremendously useful on a standalone computer with no network
>connections and a lot of XML on the disks.  XQuery is being developed at
>the W3C as an accident of history "because that's where XML stuff gets
>done".  So I just don't think that being careful to bless XQuery and
>friends is really a design goal for the Webarch document.

HTML is tremendously useful as a document format on a computer with no
network connections and a lot of documents on the disks. XML is
tremendously useful for representing data with or without the network. Do
you really want to discard every technology from your architecture if it is
useful without a network connection?

Mike Champion wrote:
>>Looking ahead, I fear that this implies that XQuery will not be seen by
>>the TAG as a viable platform for interoperability over the Web, and that
>>IMHO is the whole POINT of XPath and XQuery in many real world situations.

Here's the mission statement of the XML Query working group [1]:

>The mission of the XML Query working group is to provide flexible query
>facilities to extract data from real and virtual documents on the Web,
>therefore finally providing the needed interaction between the web world
>and the database world. Ultimately, collections of XML files will be
>accessed like databases.

Like other web technologies, what we do winds up being very useful in other
environments as well.

Jonathan
[1] http://www.w3.org/XML/Query.html