Re: Action item on syntax-based interoperability

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:40:05 -0700
Cc: "Michael Champion" <mc@xegesis.org>, <www-tag@w3.org>
To: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>

On Friday, October 24, 2003, at 05:00  PM, Dare Obasanjo wrote:

> [Dare Obasanjo] HTML is the primary language of the Web, not XML. How
> does your position on syntax based interoperability take into account
> data model based technologies web technologies that compliment HTML
> like CSS & DOM?

CSS feels web-centric to me because it embodies an importance virtue in
resource representations, the separation (so far as reasonable) between
content and presentation; important in networked information systems
because you can intrinsically never know who is processing your
representation, and for what.  The DOM, while it has an important role
in the world, gives me the impression that it could exist happily
entirely outside the Web frame of reference.  But we're getting into
anecdotal evidence here.  -Tim

Cheers, Tim Bray  http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/