RE: Action item on the virtues of error-handling

From: Bullard, Claude L (Len) <clbullar@ingr.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:12:31 -0500
To: "'noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com'" <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>, 'Masayasu Ishikawa' <mimasa@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org

Yes, I keeping thanking my machine for telling me
my code won't compile.  It never says thanks back,
but when a Coke machine tells me to "have a nice
day", I put an ice pick in the speaker.  YMMV.

From: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com [mailto:noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com]

I think that's an example that highlights how one can be tempted to use
error handling strategies or guidelines in one context that don't work in
the other, particularly in siutations where the same protocol is used for
both interactive and machine-to-machine purposes.