RE: Action item on syntax-based interoperability

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:42:17 -0400
To: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>, "Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com>, <www-tag@w3.org>

At 12:17 PM -0700 10/22/03, Dare Obasanjo wrote:
>Interesting, so you are basically arguing against things like the
>HTML and XML DOM? How will this be rationalized by the W3C?

DOMs are not part of the Web. They are local, non-interchangeable
APIs  and models built from syntax. The syntax is exchanged, and from
that you build your DOM and I build mine, but they are not the same.
For one thing my DOM is likely to be a Java DOM and yours is likely
to be a Microsoft DOM with different methods, different classes,
different internal data structures, and more. But is ithis is all
cool, as long as I only send you XML, not DOMs.

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)