Re: Action item on the virtues of error-handling

At 10:56 PM -0400 10/21/03, Dan Connolly wrote:

>I don't think "HTML's must-ignore has been highly successful" is
>self-evident; it has serious drawbacks.

Yes, but it's still obviously successful. Just look at the number of
deployed HTML pages and tools in the world. As much as I appreciate
XML's draconian error handling, one must realize that the
non-draconianess of HTML was a key feature in getting it widely
adopted by non-programmers, something XML has failed to achieve. I
doubt the Web could have achieved liftoff if it were weighed down
with draconian error handling.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu