Re: URI references and links

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 09:13:10 -0500
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org

At 2:42 PM +0900 11/15/03, Dan Connolly wrote:
>"A link is built from two pieces:
>   a base URI
>   a URI reference"
>  -- http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2003/webarch-20031111/#links
>
>I think URI references are an irrelevant detail
>when discussing links.
>
>URI references are shorthand for URIs in general,
>not just in links.

I seem to recall that URI references can have fragment identifiers
and URIs can't. If that's correct, this is the crucial distinction
here.

>And the fact that URIs have a shorthand form isn't
>very interesting when discussing links.

It's not the shorthand form that's so relevant here. It's the
possibility of a fragment ID. I think the existing text is fine.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu