Re: URI schemes and media types (was Re: Review of Oct. 27 webarch

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 10:11, Mark Baker wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 09:00:52AM -0500, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
> > > ====== 2.3 URI Schemes ==============
> > >
> > > 1st para last sentence s/specifies/may specify/ (some are deliberately
> > > silent)
> > >
> > > "Deployed software is more likely to handle the introduction of a new
> > > media type than the introduction of a new URI scheme"  I used to think
> > > so, but this is actually true?
> >
> > We have been wrestling with this statement for a while. I believe
> > DanC is not satisfied with the rationale in this section. I also believe
> > Roy is not convinced that it's true.
>
> What about this as a replacement?
>
> "If an agent encounters an unknown URI scheme, it is unable to
> dereference the URI to retrieve a representation.

Actually, if you were to use the URI Resolution DDDS method you have a
way of dereferencing an unknown URI scheme by discovering the syntactic
structure within the unknown scheme and using that to discover a gateway
service for that resource via a protocol you know how to support....

-MM