Re: My opinion on the problem of identifying ID semantics

On Tuesday, May 13, 2003, 6:18:19 AM, Murata wrote:

MM> I think that a lont-term solution is to develop an
MM> independent language for specifying integrity constraints.
MM> That language should be developed on the basis of
MM> recent research such as Wenfei Fan's works [1] and [2].

Thanks for the references - interesting.

MM> Such a long-term solution takes a lot of time, however.
MM> We need a short-term solution.  It should not cause any
MM> problems to long-term solutions.

MM> I believe that xml:id is the best short-term solution.
MM> It is ad-hoc but does the job at minimum cost.

Yes, it does seem a reasonable tradeoff to me. I have heard some
people argue in favor of it and, significantly, more people arguing
for other solutions but saying they 'could live with' xml:id.

MM> I think that the inline declaration solutions sketched in the
MM> Draft TAG finding document is not powerful as a long-term solution
MM> and takes too much cost as a short-term solution.

Can you provide more detail on both the lack of power and the
increased cost?

Is the cost due to the scoped nature? Because XML already has xml:lang
and xml:base which are also scoped.