Re: [RDFinXHTML-35] Syntax and semantics for embedding RDF in XHTML

Dan Connolly (connolly@w3.org) wrote:

> All are invited to review the notes from last week's meeting.
> Note that this was something of an ad-hoc meeting, and
> the 'minutes' are just whatever anybody thought was worth
> putting in the IRC channel... I organized the logs
> and presentation materials just a bit...

A little follow-up from that meeting ... one of major issues about
embedding RDF in XHTML was how to allow RDF inside XHTML without
sacrificing validation.  DTD is hopeless on this front, and several
people expressed that ##any in XML Schema would not be the desirable
solution.  I mentioned Modular Namespaces (MNS) [1] as one of possible
approaches, so as an example I wrote an experimental MNS schema which
allows RDF/XML inside XHTML2, among other things [2].

A sample document [3] mixes XHTML2, MathML, SVG, EGIX, ContactXML,
HLink and RDF/XML together, and can be validated against this MNS
schema using Jing [4].

This experiment only handles the syntax problem of embedding RDF in
XHTML, and it doesn't solve the semantic problem of interpreting such
a document, nor does it solve entity problem or ID issue.  Still,
it could demonstrate that directly embedding RDF/XML without sacrificing
validation is to some extent possible.

I hope this experiment could help the TAG to address RDFinXHTML-35,
and possibly mixedUIXMLNamespace-33 as well.

[1] http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/mns.html#example
[2] http://www.w3.org/People/mimasa/test/schemas/rng/hybrid.mns
[3] http://www.w3.org/People/mimasa/test/xhtml2/hybrid
    (for testing validation, not quite suitable for rendering)
[4] http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/jing.html

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org