Re: Comments on Architecture of the Web

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:40:40 +0200
To: www-tag@w3.org, Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>

On Thursday, June 26, 2003, 10:45:43 PM, Karl wrote:

KD> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2003/webarch-20030616

>>Use URIs: All important resources SHOULD be identified by a URI. 2

KD> How do you define important resources?

Oh thats easy, they are the ones with URIs ;-)

>>Dan's client and the server engage in HTTP content negotiation, so
>>that Dan receives the best image format his client can handle.

KD> or the image format he usually prefers.

And *usually* is the key. It doesn't work. For a photo I will prefer
JPEG over PNG because it looks the same but is much smaller, and for a
screenshot I will prefer PNG over JPEG because it looks lots better
and is much smaller....

This is why server-initiated coneg is not working; client-initiated
(content creator controlled) conneg might well work though.