Re: Arch Doc: 23 June 2003 Editor's Draft (equivalence -> coreference)

Dan,

From http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=equivalent,

1.
     a. Equal, as in value, force or meaning.
     b. Having similar or identical effects.

Two URI that identify the same resource would seem to have equal
meaning and identical effects.  The dictionary seems to establish a shade
of difference between equivalence and equality, where equivalence is
less direct (e.g., above, and others at the referenced page, including
math, chemistry and logic meanings).

Grammatially, how does one use "coreference" in a sentence?

E.g. 1: URI[x] is a coreference with URI[y]?
E.g. 2: URI[x] coreferences URI[y]?
E.g. 3: URI[x] is a coreferent of URI[y]?
E.g. 4: URI[x] and URI[y] corefer to ...

1. Seems weak.
2. suggests x is the reference and y the referent, which is wrong.
3. this suggests y references x, again wrong.
4. forces you to name the referent, which is hard without
    mentioning the URI again.

How do you do it?

--Walden