Re: Draft of Chapter 4 of webarch

On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 20:04, Tim Bray wrote:
> Will soon show up at http://www.tbray.org/tag/wa-c4.html.  Since I wrote
> it on a plane, I didn't get around to embedding URIs for all the RFC and
> other references.  So this definitely needs an editing pass.  There are
> placeholders for text from Chris on form/content/interaction, and from
> Norm on embedding hyperlinks.  Lots more editing is required.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for writing this. I have a couple of thoughts:

1) I would like to see the text highlight what is most relevant
   to the Web (Architecture). You do this in a number of places:

    - In 4.1: register your MIME types
    - In 4.4: use URI refs as identifiers

   I think that there should be more along those lines, and that text
   that does not do this should be pruned (or made more Web-relevant).
   For example, why is statement about the importance of well-specified
   error-handling specific to the Web Arch? Is there something about
   the Web that makes a particular kind of error handling important?
   Similarly, what is it about the Web that most affects one choice
   between a binary or a text format?

   I certainly don't mind using the categories you've suggested,
   but I think the text should be more specific to the Web.

2) A number of the sections should have references to relevant
   TAG issues (e.g., link to binaryXML-30 in section
   in binary v. textual).

 - Ian
Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447