Re: resources and URIs

pat hayes wrote:

>> They don't exist on the Web till they have a URI.  What's
>> controversial about that?
>
> Well, maybe nothing.  What does 'exist on the Web' mean?

"Exists on the Web" means "has a URI".

> What is the
> difference between "exists" and "exists on the Web" ? Are these related
> in any way? I guess I find it odd to talk of something being brought
> into (any kind of) existence by something that happens on the Web.

"Exists on the Web" is condition in the Web Architecture's formalism
that arises as a consequence of having a URI.  This condition's
intersection with the real-world phenomenon of the same name is an
interesting problem, but (I think) not one that we need to address.

> I take existence to mean actual existence, right? Being something in the
> actual world, as in "Sherlock Holmes does not exist".

Not at all.  This is a formalism.

--
Cheers, Tim Bray
         (ongoing fragmented essay: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/)