Re: "On the Web" vs "On the Semantic Web" (was Re: resources and URIs)

>Michael Mealling wrote:
>
>>In my 'layered' view, the SW is a layer above the web, and as such a SW
>>'resource' contains at its heart, a Web resource. You _could_ think of
>>it this way: it's the same object with multiple interfaces, the
>>Uri-Resource view found in 2396 being the equivalent of an IUnknown
>>interface (just without the ability to query for  the other
>>interfaces)'. As you go up the layers you end up with more available
>>interfaces to pick from....
>
>I have a lot of sympathy with this world-view.  Is there anyone who
>really doesn't like it?

I really don't like it, for one. I don't see the SW as being in a
layer above the Web, and the only way I can make sense of this seems
to suggest a misunderstanding of the aims of the SW; that is is
supposed to be in some sense a new kind of meta-data about the Web
itself.  If y'all have that idea in mind, please try to put it out of
your mind. SW technology *could* be used that way, but that is not
the primary or intended use case for the technology.

BTW, the current usage of "resource" in the SW specifications is
vacuous: a SW Resource can be anything whatsoever, real or imaginary,
on or off the Web, in the past or future, of any nature, with or
without a URI. So to claim that all SW resources 'contain' a Web
resource sounds like it would also have to be vacuous or else would
be obviously false (depending on what a 'web resource' is, which of
course I have no idea about, this never having been defined or
elucidated anywhere.)

I have no idea what an interface to an object could possibly be.
What kinds of interface do the following objects have: a grain of
sand, a galaxy, an imaginary detective ?

Pat Hayes

PS.  Reading things like this makes me wonder whether you guys
inhabit the same planet as the rest of us. Things with hearts and
multiple interfaces, arranged in layers...?? What the hell are you
talking about??? Here I am looking out of my window at an oak tree
and I wonder if its a resource, and what its interfaces could be, and
what layer it would be in.... and then I decide that none of this
makes the slightest sense. Unfortunately, that is the only conclusion
I am left with, yet again.

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell