RE: Arch Doc: 15 July 2003 Editor's Draft

From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: 15 Jul 2003 21:52:52 -0700
To: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 21:43, David Orchard wrote:
> Why was this done?  My comments had nothing to do with removing the phrase
> on the web.

I agree that you didn't directly suggest that the phrase be removed,
but one of your comments leaned in that direction:

 <do>
  3.3.2
  "Authors and applications can use URIs uniformly to identify different
   resources on the Web" -> "Authors and applications can use URIs uniformly to
  identify different resources".
 </do>

In short, "on the Web" didn't change the essence of the sentence. I
ran with that idea, and noted that none of the sentences with "on
the Web" was the worse for wear by removing "on the Web." That
also seemed consistent with DanC's suggestion that defining "on the
Web" was not critical. And one less phrase to define means that
much less time reaching consensus.

So I think this change was reasonable in light of comments.

I don't think we gain a lot by defining "on the Web." We probably
gain more by sticking to talking about identification and exchange
of representations when we mean one or the other or both.

 - Ian

> Indeed, I think the phrase should be defined in the web arch
> document.
>
> I disagree with this editorial change.
>
> >      * General: Per comments from David Orchard and Dan Connolly,
> >        decided to eliminate the phrase "on the Web" since not
> > critical to
> >        understanding the architecture.

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447