RE: Some comments on 27 June 2003 Web Arch WD

From: Bullard, Claude L (Len) <clbullar@ingr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:15:35 -0500
To: "'David Orchard'" <dorchard@bea.com>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

If one makes the definition contingent on observability,
when the representation is returned, it is on the web
regardless of the method used as long as a system method
is used (thus REST).  On the Web is not a permanent condition;
it is a testable condition.   So it is the same for the
resource or the representation.  One never has to say
what the web is; as Dan points out, the architecture
document tells us that.  I disagree with Dan that it
tells us what is "on the web", just the means of making
the observation of the truth or falsity of the assertion.

len

From: David Orchard [mailto:dorchard@bea.com]

There are a number of aspects of "on the web".  The one that I'm focusing on
is whether the dereference operation requires a representation or not, and
hence the relationship between the retrieved representation and the URI.  In
particular, a HTML FORM POST sends a representation to a URI, and retrieves
a representation from a URI based upon the input representation.  But the
representation that is returned is not directly related to a URI, so that
resource is NOT "on the web".  And that's not a bad thing, just the way it
is.

You're focusing on the dynamic availability of the resource.  I would say
that there is some expectation, and I don't know how to qualify it, that the
resource will be available.  If cnn has an up time of 99.9999% of the time,
we probably consider it "on the web".  If cnn is only available 00.0001%, is
it on the web?  I don't know where the dividing line is.

I'd prefer to avoid the "availability" aspect as I don't think we can say
much.  But we certainly can talk about whether it's even possible for the
resource to be available.  In the case that I mentioned, the form post
result is never ever on the web.