RE: Some comments on 27 June 2003 Web Arch WD

<snip/>

> > 3.3.3
> > "The simplest way to achieve this is for the namespace name to be an
> > HTTP URI which may be dereferenced to access this material. The
> > resource identified by such a URI is called a "namespace document."
> > -> "The simplest way to achieve this is to provide a resource, called
> > a "namespace document", that is identified by a dereferencable URI."
> >

> An example of the URI identification/representation bug.
>
> How about: "The resource identified by the URI is called a
> namespace. An HTTP dereferencable human readable
> _representation_ of a namespace is called a 'namespace document.'"

Well it has some appeal, but it doesn't remove the 'bug'... rather confounds
it by thinking of the namespace document, which is a 'resource' that I might
like to say things about - like "Tim wrote it", as a representation.

A formulation I can live with is that we have two resources, a namespace and
a namespace document that are identified by distinct URI as you illustrate
below. Both resources have an identical set of available representations (or
at least there is some intersection in the representations available).

> Note: One might choose to identify this namespace document as
> a distinct resource via a separate URI syntactically related
> to the namespace URI. For
> example:
>
> http://example.org/thisNamespace (identifies namespace)
> =>
> http://example.org/thisNamespace.html (identifies namespace document)

And beware infering a relationship between these two URI, modulo discussion
of opaqueness of URI.

> Jonathan

Cheers,

Stuart