RE: [metaDataInURI-31]: Initial draft finding for public review/c omment.

> There is certainly a gray area, in the case where URI schemes
> impose restrictions on the kinds of resources that should be
> denoted by instances of those URI schemes. Likewise for any
> subschemes, etc.
>
> That someone would be able to infer an rdf:type assertion
> based on a URI scheme is logical, and I wouldn't necessarily
> fault a particular application from doing so.
>
> But the number of URI schemes that have such explicit
> extensions are few, and so it does not seem worthwhile to
> make such inferences a regular part of the overall web architecture.
>
> And since such cases can be addressed just as well by URIQA,
> why introduce yet another, less general, less flexible, less
> scalable, and less robust mechanism for publishing knowledge
> about resources?

I could be quite happy with a 'don't peek inside URIs' position. I am trying
to reconcile that with things that other folks seem to want to do... eg.
make assertions about the nature of things identified by http scheme URIs
that contain a fragment component. I don't think we can have it both ways.
The 'middle' ground I was shooting for was allowing ourselves to use
whatever is stated in the relevant (narrative) specifications. I agree that
this doesn't scale. There will be schemes that on manifestly does not know
about or chooses not to implement - and in such cases the URI are truly
opaque beyond separating out scheme, hier-part (RFC2396bis), query and
fragment components.

Regards

Stuart