When to use HTTP

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:29:44 -0500
To: www-tag@w3.org

Greetings,

From the Jan 27 TAG teleconf minutes;
>            DC: I suggest describing GET/PUT/POST in a para each, then say
>            "if your app looks like that, use HTTP".

If I could make a friendly suggestion ...

That position - that if you've got hypertext, you use should use HTTP -
while entirely accurate, in my experience, doesn't provide very much
guidance to those trying to decide what architecture to use.

For example, many Web services proponents frequently (and accurately!!),
claim that they don't have any hypertext, and so therefore don't need to
"use HTTP" (i.e. use things like URIs and GET).

So I suggest that a position such as "if your app can *reasonably* be
made to look like that, use HTTP", would be superior from that
perspective.

Thanks.

MB