draft: Useful Theories about URIs

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 16:32:24 -0500
To: www-tag@w3.org

In trying to bring this harrowing thread to some productive end, I've
fleshed out and renamed my earlier "Ontologies of the Web" [1]

   - in general, they're not ontologies yet, so I've downgraded them
     to being "theories". (Theories can of course be formal (like
     ontologies), or completely informal, like metaphors).

   - I've added several more.  My favorite new one is view [2], which
     may not apply across the whole web, but it beautifully matches how
     I think about the web when I'm designing a site.

   - I've added lots of introductory rambling about process, which you
     can easily skip since it's hypertext.

   - I've divided theories between Context-Free and Contextual ones,
     since I think that division is fundamental to this debate.

Comments welcome, of course.  I suggest keeping them off this list but
please do cc: www-archive@w3.org so I can quote you.  I know, I'm
walking a time-intensive line between a paper and a wiki, but it's the
best I could come up with so far.

[1]  http://www.w3.org/2003/01/web/
[2]  http://www.w3.org/2003/01/web/#view