Re: Clarifying what a URL identifies (Four Uses of a URL)

From: David Booth <dbooth@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 19:57:29 -0500
To: www-tag@w3.org
Cc: David Booth <dbooth@w3.org>, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>

I have updated "Four Uses of a URL"[1] with the following improvements:

  - Clarified the definition of "Web location" [2]

  - Improved the illustration of "Web location" so that it more clearly
suggests an interface rather than a server [2]

  - Added new sections:
      - Enabling the View Source Effect [3]
        which explains how: "Being agnostic . . . about which of these four
things the
        URI denotes is NOT a viable solution, because it would prevent the

      - Pros and Cons of "Different Name" Versus "Different Context"[4]
         which outlines the benefits of the each approach, observing that
the "different context"
         approach has the benefit that it "does not require everyone to
agree on which of
         these four things a URI should identify, thus side-stepping the
httpRange-14 issue".

      - Generalizing [5]
         which explains how the ideas can be extended to the cases where you
         wish to identify physical objects or "things on the Web".

      - Relationship to Terms Defined in RFC2396 [6]

Again, I am interested in any feedback, particularly on any parts that are
unclear.

Thanks!

1. http://www.w3.org/2002/11/dbooth-names/dbooth-names_clean.htm
2.