What is a URI?

From: <Svgdeveloper@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 06:26:29 EST
To: www-tag@w3.org

In the context of recent discussions is anyone on list able to give me a
succinct and precise definition of what a URI is?

To head off some of the likely reflex responses to such a seemingly simple
question I would point out that the definitions in RFC 2396 of both
"resource" and "identifier" make use of the term "identity" whose precise
meaning is also unclear.

A precise definition of the term URI would be interesting but I wonder if we
should, pragmatically, recognise that a URI is the Swiss Army Knife of the
Web. By that I mean that a URI can be used for many purposes and that an
attempt to too narrowly define legitimate uses of a URI and precisely what a
URI is and does is potentially counterproductive and unnecessarily
restrictive of future development of the Web.

Andrew Watt
"XHTML 2.0 - the W3C leading the Web to its full potential ... to implement
yesterday's technology tomorrow"