Re: yet another sidetrack on what a URI identifies

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@apache.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 09:59:27 -0800
Cc: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>

Please tell me if I'm missing something, but the part of Dan's formalism
that describes these issues is summarized in

    http://www.w3.org/Architecture/state.html

which uses the term message instead of representation (because he isn't
distinguishing between message control data and payload, yet).  That
looks pretty close to REST, right?  Or is that different from the Larch
example

    http://www.w3.org/XML/9711theory/HTTP

which I am afraid doesn't make much sense to me because it refers
to entire messages in comparisons rather than elements within
those messages (and I think something is wrong with the charset).

I don't follow how that defines caching in terms of shared memory, but
I'm not sure if Dan was using it as an example of a REST formalism or
an example of a web page formalism.

....Roy