Re: Clarifying what a URL identifies (Four Uses of a URL)

From: Miles Sabin <miles@milessabin.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 13:30:18 +0000
To: www-tag@w3.org

Mark Baker wrote,
> I understand how some believe that this may helps clarify the
> situation by isolating what they see as inconsistent models.  But
> from my POV, doing so always prompts a question; wouldn't a unified
> model in which XML namespaces, cars, and web pages could all be
> included, necessarily be more general and powerful?
>
> Whether you agree that the model Roy describes is that model or not
> (I believe it is), do folks believe this is a worthy goal?  If so,
> perhaps we could say something in webarch about that?

Maybe worthy ... but probably a fools errand.

Think carefully about what you're asking for: a model which is
expressive enough that it could embed _any_ other model that anyone
might reasonably adopt for _any_ other reasonable purpose, without too
much pain or effort.

I don't believe there's any such beast ... at least, I've never run
across one. Even within the restricted domain of programming models, I
wouldn't expect there to be one that'd have much chance of qualifying
as both universal and universally acceptable ... would you?

Cheers,

Miles