Re: yet another sidetrack on what a URI identifies

On Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003, at 19:58 US/Eastern, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

>> Unfortunately, your model doesn't work for me, in trying to to
>> effectively use URIs in knowledge representation languages (like RDF).
>
> Why?  Every statement to that effect has so far been disproven, not
> by me but by members of the RDF interest group.

do you have pointer?

>  What exactly is it
> that breaks in the REST model?
>
> I know why your model breaks.  Try describing caching.

Ok, Roy, so using my model or Sandro's, show  why when you
try to describe caching it breaks.

>   For real,
> not in your imagination, but on paper and with appropriate definitions
> for the metadata that is included in HTTP responses so that the
> client has an interoperable clue as to what you are talking about.
> Then try describing hierarchical proxies, gateways, etc.  And if you
> are willing to continue work on that model, use it to describe the
> semantics of a Web to GSM SMS gateway using POST.  I already did that
> stuff seven years ago,

If you have it in the form of a formal system, then I think
a pointer to it would be very interesting.   I know Dan Connolly did
some work in Larch, but if you have a very much more complete
analysis, that's great. Do you have a URI for it?

> so I expect a little more than talk at this
> point from the W3C.

I have asked you to refer to individuals -- there has not been a
combined approach to this from W3C people.  Sandro is an MIT/LCS staff
member working on Darpa funded research. David Booth is an
employee of HP and a W3C Fellow. You are a member of the
Technical Architecture Board. But we are all individuals too.

timbl