Re: Clarifying what a URL identifies (Four Uses of a URL)

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 00:02:41 -0500
To: "David Booth" <dbooth@w3.org>
cc: "Jonathan Borden" <jonathan@openhealth.org>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org

> URIs should denote cars or pictures of cars.  If a "#" is a part of a URI,
> then Sandro's proposal[7] is mixture of the two approaches.  If a "#" is
> *not* a part of a URI, then Sandro's proposal[7] is an example of the
> "different context" approach.

I consider "#" to be part of a URI, so yes, my proposal is an odd
mixture.  In general, I favor the context approach; the proposal [7]
is a hopefully-clever hack to allow RDF to have disambiguated
identifiers without any change to the syntax or formal semantics.
(The only change is to the social meaning of identifiers.)

> 7. http://www.w3.org/2002/12/rdf-identifiers/

    -- sandro