RDF & fragment ids; what breaks?

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 21:35:24 -0500
To: Miles Sabin <miles@milessabin.com>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 12:06:27AM +0000, Miles Sabin wrote:
> Exactly _what_ would that break?

I'm not sure "break" is the right word.  It would certainly reduce
visibility into the message by HTTP components that relied on the
assumption that the URI in the HTTP request line identified the resource
being interacted with.  This would make it impossible for many services
to be deployed on the network (as intermediaries, say), and would
instead require that they be deployed at the client where they could
see the fragment id.

For example, in this list[1] of Web services, only the ones that were
browser extensions, such as iMarkup, would be able to fully participate
in any Semantic Web transaction.  The others would be useless, even if
they supported RDF.

In general, a lot of the desirable properties of the Web - visibility
and scalability being the biggies, I think - would not be fully
inherited by the Semantic Web.

 [1] http://www.math.grin.edu/~lindseyd/paper.html

MB