Re: argument from authority considered pointless

tbray@textuality.com (Tim Bray) writes:
>So at the moment I'm just not convinced that it's fruitful to start to
>write extra rules along the lines of "http:-class URIs must be used to
>identify things of type yyy" - de facto they're being used as
>identifiers for the weirdest stuff imaginable and in ways that span the
>whole spectrum of human creativity, and I just don't see the upside in
>trying to build fences.  -Tim

There is no need for "extra rules".  The fences are already plainly
specified in RFC 2616:

>3.2.2 http URL
>
>The "http" scheme is used to locate network resources via the HTTP
>protocol. This section defines the scheme-specific syntax and
>semantics for http URLs.
>
>http_URL = "http:" "//" host [ ":" port ] [ abs_path [ "?" query ]]
>
> If the port is empty or not given, port 80 is assumed. The semantics
>are that the identified resource is located at the server listening
>for TCP connections on that port of that host, and the Request-URI
>for the resource is abs_path (section 5.1.2)....

HTTP resources are critters that live on HTTP servers.  Seems pretty
plain, even boringly well-worn.  Seems to work very well, too.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!