RE: Clarifying what a URL identifies (Four Uses of a URL)

From: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 09:24:37 +0200
To: <sandro@w3.org>, <tbray@textuality.com>
Cc: <dbooth@w3.org>, <michael@neonym.net>, <www-tag@w3.org>

> > However, the web architecture as it stands
> > works just fine without being able to talk about what any
> > particular
> > resource "is" aside from "that which is identified by its
> > particular URI".
>
> If web architecture == HTTP 1.1, then sure.

Exactly. The problem is that even if the above were true (and
I'm not saying it is)

  semantic web architecture != HTTP 1.1

This debate has always been at the interface between the Web
and the Semantic Web. The Web doesn't care about what a URI
denotes, only what representations can be obtained. But the
Semantic Web doesn't care about what representations
can be obtained but what the URI denotes.

These are clearly distinct and disjunct perspectives that
need to be reconciled in some formal manner (if possible).

> > At the moment, speaking for myself, my impression is that the TAG has no
> > intention of saying anything beyond what's in 2396 and the Webarch draft.
>
> Then I wonder where this will get worked out.

So do I.

If the W3C really cares about the Semantic Web, then the TAG
will take this issue *very* seriously and work hard towards
a resolution of it.

Patrick

--
Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690, patrick.stickler@nokia.com